“GRANDPARENTS AND GRANDCHILDREN”: IN ITALY AN INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL FOR ALL EUROPEAN FILM MAKERS

 

On the wake of the success of national writing techniques and short film festivals for the Schools “Unknown Pens & Videos” and of the experience of the competition “A tree for the grandchildren – Grandparents Day the OSA onlus Association, Abbadia San Salvatore (Siena,Italy) presents the first edition of the international short film festival NONNIcorti , an open competition for all Italian and European film makers on the theme of “Grandparents & Grandchildren”, promoted by the Association OSA-ONLUS in collaboration with Plant Publicity Holland and Colonnetti Foundation (Turin), Municipality of Abbadia San Salvatore, the Province of Siena Administration and OKAY! magazine.

The theme is in fact the sole condition for participation: it is a show of short films on the figure of the “grandparents”:

  • the relationship between generations,

  • the cultural and social change between generations,

  • the “life pills” to teach and to hand down to “grandchildren”,

  • the figure of the aged people in the family and in the community,

  • to redeem the value of Grandparents, to spread social and cultural messages, natural holders, to share their experiences, keeping them as a treasure and transferring them to new generations.

The short film was chosen (maximum length 15 minutes) as a form of expression to continue the link with the cultural experiences previously promoted by OSA Association, which were award-winning, both for the interest shown by the public and for the number of competitors on the whole national territory.

The short film is thus the “fil rouge” connecting the existing cultural initiatives with the new born NONNIcorti. The form of the short film was chosen for its nature of “immediate message”, for its short language, for its synthetic features, for its relatively easy production, without excessive use of money and resources, for its shortness, which makes it very usable by everybody.

The competition will take place from 15 to 20 (day of prize-giving) October 2012 in Abbadia San Salvatore (Siena, Italy).

There will be: COMMISSION award selected by local and national experts and professionals; GRANDPARENTS award selected by some grandfathers, also elderly members of the Centre “L’Incontro” in Abbadia S. S.; GRANDCHILDREN award selected by the students of the Secondary School of Abbadia S.S. ; ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK award selected by international experts and professionals

The artworks must be submitted by 30th June 2012 to OSA ONLUS Casella Postale 35 – Abbadia San Salvatore (Siena). They will be archived at the Municipal VideoCentre of Abbadia San Salvatore, in the VIDEO-MEMORY Section. The competition announcement can be found in the website www.pennesconosciute.it

For further information you can contact Plant Publicity Holland (Italian office), Charles Lansdorp tel. 0039-348-4415927, contact@colour-your-life.it or Nicola Cirocco – tel.0039- 328 4740282 – cironic@alice.it

Advertisements

THAT MAGICAL CRYPT IN THE TUSCANY MEDIEVAL VILLAGE WHERE THE ITALIAN LANGUAGE WAS BORN

Abbadia San Salvatore, on Amiata Mount (Siena area, Tuscany, Italy) is a place rich of art and history… 

 

In Abbadia San Salvatore, on Amiata MountSiena area, Tuscany, Italy – there is a magical and capturing place. You find it on the ancient abbey church. It is a crypt, where you may breath the history and the beauty of one of the most fascinating Tuscany village.

According the documents, the crypt was built in VIII Century. It was restored in XX Century and now we may admire it in all its beauty. Everytime I have the way to visit it, I always feel astonished by its magic. It happened again a few days ago, when I was in Abbadia SS. for the XIII edition of “Penne and Video Sconosciuti”, the national festival for school journals and videos produced by italian schools.

The Longobard crypt shows 32 columns that form 13 small aisles. They are made in various shapes; some of them are round, with different sculpured ornaments. Also the beautiful capitals are sculptured in various shapes, as palm leaves, loto flowers or animal heads.

 

The abbey and all the Medieval centreare telling us how Abbadia San Salvatore was important in the past. All its area is rich in history and traditions, that to a great extent can be found in documents in the old archive belonging to the monastery dedicated to the Saviour at Amiata Mount. The archive contains many references to the importance and power of the abbey, but little or no reference is made to the early Medieval history of the surrounding land and area, or about the people who used to live there.

The castle of Abbadia is first mentioned in a document dating to 1203, which shows that the community was came under the aegis of a communal hierarchy headed by a Podestà, under the political control of Orvieto. A few years later, the strenght and power of this communal organization are described in the “bill of freedom” (“carta delle libertà”) granted in 1212 to communal chancellors by the Abbot of the San Salvatore monastery.

The pattern of settlements in the area of Abbadia was defined around the mid-XII Century, when under the pressure of external threats, the local population, up until then scattered over the surrounding countryside, came together within one large fortified settlement.

 

This Benedectine monastery was founded by Erfo, a Longobard nobleman, in the VIII Century, under King Astolfo, and it was dedicated to the Saviour, which was typical of that people and in the tradition of christian religion. It rose on the east side of Amiata Mount in order to reclaim the surrounding woods and forests. It also overlooked the Via Francigena, running through the Paglia Valley.

The imperial abbey greatly developed in the Carolingian period thanks to Charlemagne‘s and Ludovick‘s confirmation of its landed propertues and privileges, Around the year 1000, under Abbot Winizo, it increased its power by acquiring new territories. The church and the crypt were rebuilt in 1036. In 1228 the monastery passed to the Cistercians. It was suppressed by grand-duke Pietro Leopoldo in 1782 and re-opened later.

 

In the year 1087, a certain Miciarello and his wife Gualdrada made a donation in favour of the monastery of St Saviour. Below the donation document, the notary Ranieri signed three verses, commonly known as “Cartula Amiatina” (“The Amiata Footnote”). This extemporary poem represents to linguists the first voice of vernacular coming from Tuscany. That is, the first expressions recording the evolution of the Italian language.

But this is not the only important document about Amiata History. Till XIX Century, the monastery hosted the famous “Bibbia Amiatina”“The Amiata Bible” – which is considered the oldest latin version ever known. The Amiata Bible – a real art masterpiece, written by amanuensis monks – is now kept in Florence, but we may see a photo-reproduction in the Monastery Museum.

The historical centre is a well kept fortress-village, where you may walk through incredible narrow streets and squares, all built with the local grey stone. You may admire the Servadio Theatre (1873), a tiny but fascinating place. It was built thanks to the initiative of the Carli and Gragnoli families; it is dedicated to Giacomo Servadio (XIX Century) a Florentine member of Italian Parliament, banker, musician and theatre producer. Between the end of XIX Century and the beginning of the XX, the building was the seat of a friendly Society of the workers of Abbadia, where in XIX Century quicksilver mines began their activities, now closed and presented in a museum.

By ROBERTO ALBORGHETTI